GLASS COURSES & WORKSHOPS
Invest in tuition from one of the UKs leading glass artists of today!
Learn a new skill and create panels, sculpture, jewellery & vessels at The Silver Zebra Studio. Deborah Moses has over 30 years of experience in the field of glass sculpture and art. Her studio was established in 2004 and has been fascilitating unique courses ever since. Students from around the UK and abroad have attended travelling from as far away as South Africa & Dubai. Deborah’s relaxed, fun but professional approach to tutoring is addictive with attendees returning time & time over.
You can learn all the skills of kiln formed glass and many other glass disciplines at The Silver Zebra Studio which is based on the family dairy farm in picturesque, rural Cheshire. Deborah operates a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere and ensures that all pupils at The Silver Zebra are comfortable. All are welcome!
Classes are available to book via email or telephone. Just contact the studio to reserve your place. A small deposit is required upon booking and can be taken from any major debit or credit card. Group bookings and team building can be fascilitated, just contact the studio with your requirements. Workshop fees are inclusive of ALL materials, free refreshments and our 2 course, organic farmhouse lunch. Deborah is a classically trained chef who believes that lunch is just as important as the classes!
Workshops and courses are listed below, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact the studio.
1 day- Introduction to ‘Fused Glass’ (Suitable for complete beginners and intermediates)
- Learn how to create beautiful fused glass – a minimum of 6 different projects! (we have lots to choose from)
- Easy glass cutting & safety training
- Deborah will guide you through the necessary skills & materials such as glass cutting, working with stringers, noodles, confetti and coloured glass frits. We even have glitter you can incorporate!
- Create as many projects as you wish in the time allowed. From bowls to candle bridges and jewellery, tiles & sculpture this fun and relaxing glass workshop is designed to give you the perfect introduction into the art of fused glass.
3 Day- In Depth Fused Glass Crash Course
Day 1: Learn all the basics of fused glass including glass cutting, work with frits, confetti and stringers or noodles! Create up to six projects including a bowl/vessel or panel in the afternoon. (Same as our Introduction day)
Day 2: Kiln set up, care and safety, enamels and materials
- step by step preparation with hints and tips surrounding fused glass for beginners. You will learn about tack fusing and slumping your glass, how to problem solve, incorporate glass paints, bubbles and enamels into your work.
- Receive expert advice from Deborah on material suppliers, tool lists and kiln recommendations. You will create 3 panels or vessels on this day utilising lots of materials & techniques along the way
Day 3: Kiln Carving/ Embossed Textures
- How to start and map out a design (we have templates too)
- Incorporate glass noodles, stringers and glass lace. Show you how to incorporate embossed or raised designs
- Create a 30x30cm panel or tryptic – your panels will incorporate everything you have learnt over the 3 day course at The Silver Zebra Studio.
- Time allowing, you are free to create other projects or samples here!….often an exciting time as your free to just play
As a follow on from the 3 day crash course, The Silver Zebra offers a fabulous 2 day, in-depth glass course.
‘The Next Step’- 2 day, in-depth glass course
- 9:30am – 5pm
Day 1: Following on from the fused glass skills that you have gained from the 3 day crash course with Deborah you will be able to Map out, design and create an embossed, 30x60cm kiln carved glass panel with your new skills, tools and methods. Deborah will also introduce you to liquid stringers, metals, paints, organics and sparkling miccas. Please say if you would like to work on a alternative size ( if you have experience at another studio your most welcome as long as you have covered fused glass basics)
Day 2: Create a metal sample panel, free standing sculpture or vessel. We have a variety of moulds to choose from and we will guide you through creating a layered affect incorporating metal inclusions, organics, oxides & glitters
You will also receive an introduction to the art of engraving and ‘gilding’ applying 23.5 carat Gold/Silver/Copper leaf to your work.
Bring along a couple of glass bottles for a bit of fun at the end of your day too! Recycling glass is fun but also earth friendly and a cheaper way of playing with glass
1 Day-Fused Glass Wall Panel Workshop (this can also be split into 2 panels or vessels)
Create your own unique and bespoke wall panel, 60 x 30cm in size. This can be split into 2 panels or work on 2 vessels if you prefer.
Your tutor at The Silver Zebra Studio will guide you through the design and creation of your very own fused glass wall panel. Learn to cut glass, add colour, work with stringers and add textures and bubbles. Ideal for both beginners or intermediates. Follow your own designs with your tutors guidance or feel free to use our templates. Please say if you wish to work on a alternative size at the time of booking
A fun day playing with glass with expert step by step tuition all the way.