GLASS COURSES & WORKSHOPS
Invest in tuition from one of the UKs leading glass artists of today!
Learn a new skill and create panels, sculpture & vessels at The Silver Zebra Studio. Deborah Moses has over 30 years of experience in the field of glass sculpture and art. Her studio, The Silver Zebra, was established in 2004 and she has been delivering unique and comprehensive courses ever since. Students from around the UK and the world have flocked to train with her, at times coming from as far away as South Africa & Dubai. Deborah’s relaxed, fun but professional approach to tutoring is addictive and has delighted students that many return time & time over.
You will learn all the skills of kiln formed glass and other glass disciplines at The Silver Zebra Studio which is based on the family dairy farm in picturesque, rural Cheshire. Deborah operates a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere and ensures that all pupils at The Silver Zebra are comfortable. All are welcome!
Classes are available to book via email or telephone. Just contact the studio to reserve your place. A small deposit is required upon booking and can be taken from any major debit or credit card.
Workshop fees are inclusive of ALL materials required for the course, free refreshments and our 2 course, farmhouse lunch. Deborah is a classically trained chef who believes that lunch is just as important as the classes!
See our Workshops and courses listed below, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Deborah at the studio.
1 day- Introduction to ‘Fused Glass’ (Suitable for complete beginners and intermediates)
- Learn how to create beautiful fused glass – a minimum of 6 different projects!
- Easy glass cutting & safety training
- Deborah will guide you through the necessary skills & materials such as glass cutting & working with stringers, noodles, confetti and coloured glass frits.
- Create as many projects as you wish in the time allowed. From bowls to candle bridges and jewellery, tiles & sculpture this fun and relaxing glass workshop is designed to give you the perfect introduction to the art of fused glass.
3 Day- In Depth Fused Glass Crash Course
Day 1: Learn all the basics of fused glass including glass cutting, safety and popular techniques, work with frits, confetti and stringers or noodles! Create up to six projects including a bowl/vessel or panel in the afternoon.
Day 2: Kiln set up, care and safety
- Professional but step by step preparation and hints and tips surrounding fused glass. You will learn about tack fusing and slumping your glass. You will also learn how to problem solve, incorporate glass paints, bubbles and enamels into your work.
- Receive expert advice from Deborah on material suppliers, tool lists and kiln recommendations. You will create 3 panels or vessels on this day utilising lots of materials & techniques
Day 3: Kiln Carving/ Embossed Textures
- How to start and map out a design
- Incorporate glass noodles, stringers and glass lace. Embossed or raised designs
- Create 30x30cm panel or tryptic- your wall panels will incorporate everything you have learnt on the 3 day course at The Silver Zebra Studio.
- Time allowing, you are free to create other projects or samples here!
As a follow on from the 3 day crash course, The Silver Zebra offers a fabulous 2 day, in-depth glass course.
‘The Next Step’- 2 day, in-depth glass course
Day 1: Following on from the basic fused glass skills that you have gained from the 3 day crash course with Deborah you will be able to Map out, design and create an embossed, 30x60cm kiln carved glass panel with your new skills, tools and methods. Deborah will also introduce you to liquid stringers, metals, paints and sparkling miccas. Please say if you would like to work on a alternative size
Day 2: Create a panel, bridge or vessel. We have a variety of moulds to choose from and you can create a layered design to your work. Deborah will teach you how to incorporate and work with precious metals to get the best results.
You will also receive an introduction to the art of engraving and ‘gilding’ applying 23.5 carat Gold/Silver/Copper leaf to your work.
Bring along a couple of glass bottles for a bit of fun at the end of your day too! Recycling glass is fun but also earth friendly and a cheaper way of playing with glass
1 Day-Fused Glass Wall Panel Workshop
Create your own unique and bespoke wall panel, 60x30cm in size.
Your tutor at The Silver Zebra Studio will guide you through the design and creation of your very own glass wall panel. Learn to glass cut, add colour, work with stringers and add textures and bubbles. Ideal for both beginners or intermediates. Please say if you wish to work on a alternative size.
A fun day playing with glass with expert step by step tuition all the way.